Monday, July 21, 2008

Playing Catch-Up

So, I have been doing a lot of things...California last weekend, group of nine boys camping this past week, wreaking havoc upon Durango, and now headed back out to camp again this week. Needless to say, I am a little behind on the updates.


So, I will start with California:

My trip was great, a few hours of delay on the front end and switching airports, but overall it went pretty well. The night that I arrived, we went to the beach for some Bachelorette Party II. The group consisted of the bride, the bridal party, and me...strange, I know. So anyways, we had a great time on the beach with our puny little fire, roasted hot dogs, made smores, and just generally laughed a lot. After that, Ayla and I moved to our new hotel (she had stayed the previous night with some of the bridesmaids) and basically went to sleep. The next two days we pretty much spent all of our free time down at the beach, with a rehearsal dinner one evening and the wedding the next. The wedding was great fun (there were only about 35 people there including the wedding party). They married, we ate, danced, laughed and waved them off. On Sunday morning, Garrett came and picked Ayla and me up, and we went to see some of the LA sites. We saw Hollywood, the Walk of the Stars, Grohman's Theater (where all the hand prints and footprints are), ate at a famous little restaurant that I forgot the name of, and spent the rest of the day down at the beach. On the trip home, it was a little more interesting...I had to run to make my connection flight in Phoenix, because of delays in LA; my bag didn't make the connection; I got a speeding ticket coasting down the hill outside of town; and I didn't get my luggage back until Thursday of the next week.

The return trip home was only a piece of my troubles, however, because we also had a little bit of a rough start to our camping week, with Marquette leaving and me locking my keys in my car (all in the same very unfortunate morning). Things improved from there, however, and we had an amazing group with the boys. The staff working that week were: Lance, Jared, Garrison, Hannah, and me. The boys were a baseball team sent up by one of the guys' dad, who wanted them to experience God together in a way that would allow them to develop a different kind of bond that didn't revolve around sports. It was really different having only campers there without an adult sponsor, and also just having a group of guys that small. I really enjoyed it though, and the week turned out really well despite all of the distractions. The week ended with the boys planning on starting a weekly or biweekly Bible Study when they return to Dallas, and one of the boys prayed to accept Christ!


That pretty much covers my life up to this point, and I am going to include a few pictures (including one from our summit of Engineer the week before last).








Hannah and me standing in front of Engineer Peak.






Garrison, Hannah, Jared, and me laying in the flowers just above tree line.




The view off the top of Engineer (12,972 feet).

1 comment:

compasswilderness said...

I can't believe you guys summited Engineer without the rest of the staff! Shame on all of you!