Saturday, July 5, 2008

Durango Intro

I have now been up here in Durango for a month. It has been a really exciting first half of the summer. Our basic week, when working with a group, looks like this: The group arrives Monday night and we all grill hot dogs and then have a first worship session that night, after they're all settled in. On Tuesday and Wednesday we take the groups rappelling and hiking (we always make sandwiches for lunch and dinners vary a little bit). Occasionally a group will rock climb instead of rappelling one day. On Thursday we all go into town and play around in the field at Santa Rita Park and go rafting on the Animas River (which has a temperature averaging in the upper 30's and lower 40's right now). And every night Marquette gives a lesson and Lane leads worship for the group. On Friday most groups leave fairly early in the morning to get started on their drive home.


On the weekends we're all pretty free to do whatever we want. I try to go climbing at least once every weekend since I have such a huge selection of places to climb while I'm here in Durango. We also usually use the weekends to catch up on sleep and laundry. One of the most unique things about being a part of the camp staff is the amazing community that we are able to build. It's a huge blessing to have such a constant group of people investing in my life and holding me accountable on a daily basis. God has really been able to use the rest of the staff and our times of group devotion, learning and discussion to teach me a great many things about His character and His love for me. I know that I will really miss that aspect of this community when I return to school.

My other job while I'm here is to take care of the boys part of the time. Luckily it's a really easy job because they are both naturally good natured. Nash, the oldest (he's two and a half) is hilarious and always makes me smile.
Beck is about 10 months old and he is really sweet and loving with an adorable laugh. Both of the boys love to be outdoors so that is a blessing for me, so that I don't have to stay cooped up in the condo during the weeks that I watch them. Other than that there isn't too much else to say.
On Sundays we are going to a really great church in Durango called River Church, where we have already met a lot of people. The pastor and his wife have an amazing heart for God, which you can see reflected throughout the rest of the church membership, and they are in the process of adopting their eighth child. Last Sunday I wore the earrings that Avery made me for my birthday. You can see them in the picture. I got a lot of compliments on them, so thank you, Avery, and props to your craftsmanship!
God has already done some beautiful things in the hearts of many of the campers and even some of the youth leaders, and I can't wait to see what He has in store for the rest of the summer. We are continuing to pray for God's spirit to move in the hearts of all the students that come to camp this summer, as well as in all of our hearts so that God will be able to work through us in every situation. It's such a blessing to be able to spend the summer serving students by showing them God's love through my actions and through spending time enjoying His amazing creation.

No comments: